US President Donald Trump stated on Tuesday that Washington is currently not engaged in any negotiations with Tehran and has no plans to launch a new round of talks, marking a notable shift from his repeated earlier claims that the two sides were in contact. Meanwhile, Trump continues to assert that the Strait of Hormuz is open and that all mines in the waters have been cleared, but local shipping activity remains nearly frozen as US-Iran tensions escalate further.
In a social media post on the same day, Trump wrote, "There are currently no negotiations or dialogues with Iran, and no such talks are scheduled." This statement stands in stark contrast to his remarks two weeks ago, when he accused Iran of being "two-faced" for denying that negotiations were underway. Iranian officials have consistently maintained that no formal talks are taking place with the United States.
Trump also reiterated that the US naval blockade on Iranian ports remains fully in effect, claiming, "The Strait of Hormuz is open and operating normally, and all mines have been cleared or detonated." However, US Central Command has not confirmed that mine-clearing operations in the strait have been completed, and when asked about the situation, it merely directed media inquiries to the White House.
In reality, commercial shipping through the Strait of Hormuz continues to face severe disruption. Before the conflict, approximately 20% of global oil trade passed through this critical waterway, but vessel transits have dropped sharply in recent months and slowed even further in recent days. On Sunday, only three ships transited the strait, compared with roughly 130 vessels per day before the war erupted.
Maritime security risks also persist. The UK Maritime Trade Operations office reported on Tuesday that a cargo vessel was struck by an unidentified flying object while transiting the strait, causing engine room damage and one crew casualty, with remaining crew members receiving assistance from Omani coast guard authorities.
Meanwhile, fresh signs of military escalation have emerged across the Middle East. The UAE Defense Ministry said its air defense systems detected two ballistic missiles fired from Iran toward the country on Tuesday. One landed outside UAE territorial waters, while the other fell within its territorial sea.
As the outlook for US-Iran diplomacy deteriorates further, international oil prices rose for a third consecutive session on Tuesday. Market participants worry that if shipping through the Strait of Hormuz continues to be disrupted, risks to global energy supplies could intensify.
Trump on Monday had already ruled out extending the 60-day temporary ceasefire agreement previously reached between the US and Iran. That deal expired on Monday, and both sides had in fact already resumed military operations. Trump said he has no intention of extending the truce because Iran is unwilling to accept the conditions Washington deems necessary to end the war.
Notably, amid the diplomatic stalemate, Trump has repeatedly floated the idea of US control over the Strait of Hormuz in recent days. On Monday, he told reporters at the White House that the US has "taken control" of the waterway through its naval blockade. On Tuesday, he went further by sharing an image on social media labeling the Strait of Hormuz as "new US territory." It remains unclear, however, whether these remarks represent official US policy, and the White House has offered no further clarification.
Iran and Oman continue to hold discussions on resuming commercial shipping through the strait. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said over the weekend that negotiations between Tehran and Muscat are still ongoing, with both sides discussing the establishment of new maritime transit routes. Trump, however, has warned that Washington could take strong military action if Oman obstructs US operations in the region.
Marc Sievers, who served as US Ambassador to Oman from 2016 to 2019, believes peace talks between Washington and Tehran have effectively stalled. He suggested that Trump's recent tough rhetoric toward Oman reflects the White House's growing frustration with the current situation. He expects that, absent a diplomatic breakthrough, the two sides could enter a prolonged standoff.
Eurasia Group has also pushed back its timeline for a potential US-Iran de-escalation. The consultancy no longer anticipates a peace deal before September, instead delaying the potential easing to year-end, and sees the most likely outcome as only a limited agreement that would allow for partial restoration of shipping through the Strait of Hormuz. The firm noted that because Middle Eastern oil producers have already rerouted exports through alternative transport corridors, international oil prices have not breached the $100-per-barrel threshold, and the global economy is gradually adapting to the strait's disruption. This reduces the immediate urgency for Washington to push for a full restoration of shipping. However, as long as the US and Iran remain in sustained confrontation, even a partial recovery of Strait of Hormuz traffic could prove fragile, and fresh military clashes could once again upend global energy transportation at any time.